Feedback to Kingsoft Office/WPS Office for Linux.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I'm using WPS office on Elementary OS Freya (based on Ubuntu 14.04). It works flawlessly, however I would love to add a custom dictionary to it. For Windows it is possible. Is it possible also for Linux? If so, where should I copy the dictionary files to make the software recognize a new dictionary and show it in the spell check menu?

Regards!
Hi there.

I'm on ubuntu 15.04.
I was following these steps http://wps-community.org/download/dicts/ but It didn't work for me :( . I can't set other spell-check language than English.
But I've managed to add the desired dictionary (spanish in my case) adding custom dictionaries, inside the spell check window (F7) but it isn't working too well (it marks many words that are right).
Let's take de_DE.zip as an example.
Step 1, unzip de_DE.zip and put the directory "de_DE" into ~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/, then we got "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/dict.conf", "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/main.aff" and "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/main.dic".

Step 2, restart WPS, then click "Review -> Spell Check -> Set Language -> Set Spell Check Language"

Step 3, choose "German(Germany)"
Duke Deng wrote: Let's take de_DE.zip as an example.
Step 1, unzip de_DE.zip and put the directory "de_DE" into ~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/, then we got "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/dict.conf", "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/main.aff" and "~/.kingsoft/office6/dicts/de_DE/main.dic".

Step 2, restart WPS, then click "Review -> Spell Check -> Set Language -> Set Spell Check Language"

I tried this for install spanish dictionary but it didn´t show any spanish dictionary to install, what can I do?
Gerardo Estrada wrote:
Duke Deng wrote: Let's take de_DE.zip as an example.

I tried this for install spanish dictionary but it didn´t show any spanish dictionary to install, what can I do?

Which version have you been using? It works for me(I tested this in WPS for Linux alpha18).
I doubt that all the dictionary files have been put in the right place. Could you please list your directory tree of .kingsoft or report this problem to WPS_Linux@kingsoft.com with more information and attachments like screenshots?
instead of placing the files in the ./.kingsoft directory, they should be placed in this directory:
/opt/kingsoft/wps-office/office6/dicts/

make sure there is a directory there with the right name. For example: my dictionaries directorie is named nl_NL.
Then in this directory there should be a directory with the same name.

This can be done with a terminal command:

in terminal, type this (I assume you have extracted the zip file with the dictionaries you have downloaded, in the Downloads directory).

sudo cp - avr ./nl_NL/ opt/kingsoft/wps-office/office6/dicts/nl_NL/
(change nl_NL with the right dictionary name)

when You start WPS writer after that, you should have the new dictionary installed.

perhaps you could do the same with the mv command (move).

sudo mv ./nl_NL/ /opt/kingsoft/wps-office/office6/dicts/
Using /opt/kingsoft/wps-office/office6/dicts folder didn't work for me either.
Then, using this folder suggestion I looked a bit further and I found out en_US folder in /opt/kingsoft/wps-office/office6/dicts/spellcheck/ folder. I copied my dictionary into there and after restarting WPS Office Writer, my language showed up there. However, for some reason I cannot add any new words to the dictionary. File permissions for my dictionary are the same as for en_US.

I haven't tried to add new words to en_US default dictionary but permissions for files in both directories are 644 (rx-r--r--). So this means that only the owner can add new words, being the owner the root user. And as most of us start WPS Writer as non-root, we cannot add new words!
Very well written post and very helpful to me. I wanted to thank you for this great Hostgator coupon read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
8 posts Page 1 of 1