Feedback to Kingsoft Office/WPS Office for Linux.
28 posts Page 2 of 3
[quote]...KingSoft Office license...[/url]

Found THIS. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Good luck and best wishes on the project.
Archie Arevalo wrote:
...KingSoft Office license...[/url]

Found THIS. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Good luck and best wishes on the project.

Hi friend.
So for reply so late. There days, we are busying ourselves in prepare x64 version.

We also hope there is more friend help us.
How to start is a big problem to us.
If you have any idea, you can tell me.
^_^ If you meet any problem, you can tell me too.

Jin
As a new user I was surprised to find ODF is not supported. This stings me.

Kingsoft Office is looking to be my permanent replacement for Open Office and Libre Office, but it seems I can send documents around only in MS Office format. This is not acceptable.

As an outsider, it seems to me Kingsoft needs to modernize or be left behind, because right now I'm going to go for an open standards solutions instead (back to Libre / Open office). Modernize in the sense of globalizing software development, through plugin support or open sourcing the codebase.
Benny Bottema wrote: As a new user I was surprised to find ODF is not supported. This stings me.

Kingsoft Office is looking to be my permanent replacement for Open Office and Libre Office, but it seems I can send documents around only in MS Office format. This is not acceptable.

As an outsider, it seems to me Kingsoft needs to modernize or be left behind, because right now I'm going to go for an open standards solutions instead (back to Libre / Open office). Modernize in the sense of globalizing software development, through plugin support or open sourcing the codebase.

Sorry, again.
Maybe, using OpenOffice and KSO together is a good idea, now.

:)
Jin
Microsoft Office out of office across the UK government?

Microsoft Office is being chucked out of the UK government!

Or so The Guardian newspaper would have us believe in a Press Association story this morning that claims that the UK government will oust Microsoft Office and replace it with open source alternatives.

The article – a preview piece for the Sprint 14 UK government digital event that I attended earlier today – quotes Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude as wanting to roll out software which can produce open-source files in the ‘open document format’ (ODF), such as OpenOffice and Google Docs.

UK Gov planning to abandon Microsoft Office
I can't believe you can't support ODF (full documented) and you can support doc/docx (no documented).
It's ilogical, is there another reason?
Hi there,
A big thank you for the WPS team for delivering one of the best office suites for Linux I've encountered. Got it last year with my Lenovo phone and been using it since!

Now, on topic... Where can we find (if there is any) the WPS public API so we can develop a module for ODF formats? Me and some friends are coding casually in our free time and we will be happy to invest some time on trying to implement an ODF plugin for WPS on Linux and hopefully, other platforms as well. In my workplace I've been using extensively WPS for MS documents, but from time to time we get some ODF documents and we have to launch an alternative product. While that works for us, we'd prefer to actually use WPS for all our needs if that's an option.
Thank you for your time!
Chizhong Jin wrote: Lots of friends hope Kingsoft Office can support ODF.
...I known ODF is advanced. I known ODF is important in Linux. I known ODF is a open document. I known ODF is free.

Why not develop ODF support?
A fatal reason is we have no people!
Because of we can not feed ourselves, we can not have a big team.

When will we develop ODF support?
Perhaps, when we could maintain 20 people by ourselves.
Or, there have lots of users use Kingsoft Office for Linux.

I see the major point of ODF is not presented here. ODF is a standard supported by ISO, IEC, and OASIS standards agencies. This is important to all users of all operating systems, not just Linux. The ODF standard describes the file format written to your storage device (disk, cloud, SIM, Flash, etc). Any document which doesn't support this ODF file format can't be said to meet the "ODF standard".

Why is this important? I'm an engineer. Some of the documents I produce for my designs end up in a document center for long term storage and access. "Long term" can mean more than 10 years. I've tried to use Microsoft formats; DOC, XLS, PPT, etc. After two revisions of MS Office typically these older documents can't be opened or converted anymore. Since ODF is a standard, any software claiming to be able to read and/or write ODF files must be able to read the ODF standard file format. This means for long term storage my documents will always be readable and modifiable by Open Office, Libre Office, OwnCloud, and even later versions of MS Office (2007 SP2 and up).

docx, xlsx, pptx, etc are Microsoft’s attempt to mimic a "standard". Experts who've looked at MS file formats say Microsoft's documentation of these Microsoft proprietary formats is incomplete and ambiguous. Without a real standards agency behind the disk file format, docx, xlsx, and pptx formats are whatever Microsft says they are at the time the question is asked. I personally won't trust these proprietary Microsoft formats for long term storage of intellectual property.

With this said, I fully appreciate staffing requirements and being spread too thin. However if it's an either/or situation, dump Microsoft formats and support the ODF standard file format. This will help assure your long term survival.

BTW, even my OwnCloud server supports ODF document reading and editing through an HTML5 interface, and OwnCloud is written in PHP.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig Arno wrote: ... ODF is a standard supported by ISO, IEC, and OASIS standards agencies.

Almost forgot, start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument for a collection of links to real standards and agencies.

I just discovered Kingoffice WPS today. It is an impressive suite and different from favorites like LibreOffice.
Maybe this will help:

Writing ODF Files with Qt:
http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq27-odfwriter.html

OpenDocument Format for developers:
http://www.opendocumentformat.org/developers/

Available example code ready for use:
http://recipes.opendocsociety.org/

Thanks.
28 posts Page 2 of 3