Feedback to Kingsoft Office/WPS Office for Linux.
28 posts Page 1 of 3
Lots of friends hope Kingsoft Office can support ODF.
I'm sorry for that we will not develop ODF support, recently.

I known ODF is advanced. I known ODF is important in Linux. I known ODF is a open document. I known ODF is free.

Why not develop ODF support?
A fatal reason is we have no people!
Our team, the wps community team, is a small team. We only 7 people currently. ODF support is a big project. If we do it, we can not do anything else, in several years and Kingsoft Office for Linux will aborted.
Other of us, the developer for windows, is not interest in ODF support. They need make more money to maintain our team and themselves.
Because of we can not feed ourselves, we can not have a big team.

When will we develop ODF support?
Perhaps, when we could maintain 20 people by ourselves.
Or, there have lots of users use Kingsoft Office for Linux.

Thanks to everyone.
^_^
Sorry to hear that.
But could the dev team consider the power of community. Maybe some community members could help it with a legal agreement and the permission of Kingsoft.
I would see no reason WPS should not try ODF. Currently people are moving from windows to Linux(ubuntu) because of crappy Windows 8. and there is no microsoft office available there. Also for windows world most people prefer to use MS office than other.
I would see lots of potential for WPS to grow in linux world and it could be primary enterprise office suite there.
I hope Kingsoft allows for third-party ODT plug-ins if they're not doing ODT themselves. I have Ubuntu installed on flash drives and can always do more space. Kingsoft Write on PC is far smaller than OpenOffice, so I'd jump for a version on Linux.
James Greenidge wrote: I hope Kingsoft allows for third-party ODT plug-ins if they're not doing ODT themselves. I have Ubuntu installed on flash drives and can always do more space. Kingsoft Write on PC is far smaller than OpenOffice, so I'd jump for a version on Linux.

We welcome anybody to improve KSO, and we need times to adjust our framework.
You are not alone on the planet the community could help with the ODF!
How about support addons? The community could develop an ODF plugin from the libreoffice src.

You dont have to do it all by yourself, that's the beauty of Linux, we ALL want to help.

感谢你的努力
Might i make another Suggestion? Use crowdsource funding. Kickstarter, indiegogo etc have proven successful in cases like this.
Darrell S wrote: Might i make another Suggestion? Use crowdsource funding. Kickstarter, indiegogo etc have proven successful in cases like this.

Hi Darrell.
Thank you for your suggestion. Another friend also tell me that. If I known it before this website is set, we are happy to choose it. That is a cheap solution for us. But now our website is launched. I don't think desert here is a good idea.

:)
Jin
Hello. New member here.

The replies on this thread suggest an lot of interest in ODF on KingSoft Office. We've also had a rather short discussion on our forum in which one of our members posted:

Quote from: Just17 on Yesterday at 09:40:31 AM
Q: Does Kingsoft office plan to support odf?
A: We're sorry, but we just don't have the team to support odf.

That is sufficient reason for me to avoid it like the plague!

Understandable, the developers would need more people (volunteers).

Forum members here have presented the developers with some solutions:
Alexander Sun wrote: ... could the dev team consider the power of community. Maybe some community members could help it with a legal agreement and the permission of Kingsoft.

or

James Greenidge wrote: ... allows for third-party ODT plug-ins if they're not doing ODT themselves...

On behalf of many who prefer to use ODT, I hope the developers would listen and take action.

In the future and depending on KingSoft Office license (which I haven't checked yet) and ODT support, we could consider including it on our repository for our users to install and use.

Peace and much respect,
Archie
28 posts Page 1 of 3